The Hartley Barn has a century of history in its original location and twenty some years in the Bridgeport Historcical Village. Henry Jones received a Federal Land Grant signed by President Ulysses S. Grant for his property in Kawkawlin Township. He received his land on February 1, 1871. The barn was built between 1881 and 1885. It passed to the Hartley Family.
The tourist commission and the Bridgeport Players acquired the barn from Charles Hartley to use as a community theater and dance hall. It was not safe enough to use for that purpose.
It was then used by the Village for storage of their larger historical pieces.
David Ciolek with many volunteers from Bridgeport first disassembled the barn, moved it from Kawkawlin to the Historical Village and then reassembled it in the Village.
The barn is constructed with posts and beams with mortise-and-tenon joints. The equipment on display within the barn was used by local farmers.